Saturday, May 19, 2007

A tribute to Euclid

Today I saw my Geometry students for the last time. After having answered the worksheets I have given them and helping them with the confusing parts, they up and left, and went to a nearby coffee shop, just as they might have done any other day.

You know, if somewhere down the road, it is revealed to me that what I actually taught them was not Geometry, but the doctrine of staying cool--through the impossible-to-read proofs, the intently difficult teacher (not a typo), the tests that did not get an A, and the weird tutor who thinks that Geometry is one of the pillars of the foundation of human society,--and if they were able to use this power to stay cool in their future classes, I would be satisfied with the outcome. In fact, I think I would prefer it that way. ^_^

And, if you really think about it, junior year is hard, but not harder than sophomore year. Junior year is hard when you're a sophomore. But it won't be hard when you're a junior.

So take heart, everyone.

I'm thinking that maybe I should thank my Math students at the Stairwell this semester for giving me back the faith in the numbers that I thought I lost. I hope Fall 2007 finally sees me crawl out of the rut in my Math classes.

Thanks for reading.

Song in my head: Queen, "We Are the Champions". Heard on the radio while driving.

No comments: