Monday, May 7, 2007

A Louisianan pragmatic and a Congolese Mass

Overheard on the History Channel:
Louisiana was not bought for four cents an acre; it was bought for four cents a gallon.
They were, of course, referring to the Mississippi River, whose mouth the Americans would now control. Bonus: Confusing War Name number 1: The French and Indian War. So, who fought? And who won? ^_^

I saw the University Singers perform the Missa Luba yesterday. It was a particularly pretty set of music. The one that made me tear up and cry was the fifth movement, "Agnus Dei". Some of it had to be the words, but I think that a large part of it had to be the intricate, "quilted" harmony that I never had the good fortune to replicate.

Well, you can't win them all. At least I wrote the best melody ever--for a little-heard responsorial psalm. ^_^

Song in my head: Earth, Wind, and Fire, "September". And also the rousing rendition from the UOG Jazz Ensemble.

No comments: