Friday, April 20, 2007

Fansub

One of the advantages of getting cable is being able to watch some Kapamilya shows when I need a fix of Tagalog in my day. This latest craze is pretty shiawright--a teleserye (soap opera) called "Rounin," something that is currently being described as an "anime-serye". And the description is apt... lots of fantasy action in this show (much more than you'd see in a run-of-the-mill Filipino soap opera), a slightly dystopic, post-industrial world where everyone speaks Tagalog (and lots of really correct, crisp, highly fluent Tagalog at that), lots of good character development, and a decidedly epic storyline. I've suggested to Freshwater that I get a copy somewhere of maybe the first two or three episodes, perform a fansub from Tagalog to English, and show it on a future Anime Night. Now that would be a worthy undertaking.

Does it ever occur to anyone that we do some fansubbing ourselves unconsciously as well, whenever we talk? Language differs from person to person all around the world. The depressing conclusion is that we will never be able to communicate at all with anyone else. The optimistic conclusion is that miscommunication is to be expected and forgivable. So if at first you misunderstand, look for a fansub. ^_^

Thanks for reading. I promise I won't tell anyone what you inhaled today.

Song in my head: James Taylor and Yo Yo Ma, "Benjamin".

P.S. You know, yesterday Jesse and I felt as if we were struck by lightning.

No comments: