Sunday, May 17, 2009

Past time

While I was walking by myself maybe about a week ago, I stumbled across a random thought. I cannot remember the thought that ignited it anymore, but the notion is this: We should never assume that the past was a strictly simpler situation than the present. This immediately seemed true, and I started to wonder how the complexity around us could be compared with the complexity of the life of someone living in the 18th or 19th Century. For example, a twentysomething from the 19th Century would not have known or even comprehended what a computer was, but then again, he or she wouldn't have had to keep up with upwards of a hundred "friends" on some social networking site.

It seems to be true that while progress is certainly being made, there are things that remain the same, allowing our brains to relate these to the new things.

I have a feeling I wasn't the first person to ever say that. ^_^

Song in my head: Maino, featuring T-Pain, "All of the Above".

No comments: