Saturday, October 3, 2009

Island-bowling, Frame 2

I was looking at the weather channel on TV earlier, and two thoughts suddenly occurred to me:
  • The blue color that stands in for the Pacific Ocean in these loops is a false color. I mean that when the infrared data comes from satellites (or however they get the cloud info), they actually don't perceive the seas as blue. That's a color added to the map to make it seem more realistic. In a way I've known this already, but somehow I was alerted to it the last time I looked at it.

  • The image of typhoons barrelling westward toward the Marianas Islands looks like a frame of tenpins. This is why my new term for the typhoon season is "island-bowling".

Batten down the hatches, ladies and gentlemen. I'll see you all after the all-clear.

Song in my head: Jason DeRulo, "Whatcha Say".

No comments: