Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ypao-Matapang walkabout

I know, I know, I shouldn't use a sacred word such as "walkabout" to describe such a commonplace walk through two beaches. But then again, the point is that until now it has not been commonplace.

As I was walking back to my vehicle after having snapped some pictures of the beach, I contemplated on why photography is an art. My first reaction was, "Good question." I decided that songwriting is less like writing than it is like picture taking; songwriters don't go to the songs, the songs come to them. Then the songwriter decides whether that song idea, like a certain unposed composition in a picture, is worth writing about. If that happens, then, well, you have a song. ^_^

Then, I realized that we dwellers of this century have actually put photography in a sort of double-standard: we maintain that the camera does not lie, but then turn around and beg and coax it to tell the truth the way we see it.

I told Jesse yesterday that love is a uniquely human construct partly because it draws its justification from another uniquely human construct: the awareness of our own mortality. However, when I was telling this to him, I still did not have it worked out fully. When I was driving around this morning the answer suddenly came to me, and now I can't wait to put it down on some paper.

Thanks for reading.

Song in my head: The Frames, "Pavement Tune".

P.S. Check out some pictures from my walkabout at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathwizard/tags/fffff

No comments: