Wednesday, June 20, 2007

In paradisum

A few days ago, I played one song on the piano for a funeral--a big one--at the Vestibule. This was one of the few instances where I was not the main pianist at a service. (I'm thinking there should be more, but that's really just my laziness talking... ^_^) After the pianist (who also conducted the choir) heard me play, he told me in passing that he admired the naturalness of my playing, and invited me to receive from him his 40-year-old catalog of musical arrangements. He also told me that a gift like my playing is received from God, not inherently mine, and that I should always find a way to give it back to Him.

I was inspired by what he said, needless to say, but then I thought about it. This is exactly what I needed to hear at this point in time. I can't be too upset about being unable to do everything I'd like to do. I didn't ask for a broken leg that's still healing, so the best choice is to deal with it.

In somewhat related news, my mother, my brother, and I just took advantage of two weeks free at a fitness club in the lowlands below the Plantation. I've visited the club twice already, and at least in this very early stage, I'm enjoying it. Fact is, my muscles have started to ache. Then again, people tell me that's when my muscles are growing. ^_^

Thanks for reading. And yes, your card is coming to you, Serenity. ^_^

Song in my head: Jack Johnson, "Better Together".

No comments: